Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Well Hello Again, Orealla!

So. This has been an interesting week.

Thursday: Awoke at 5 AM (or so) to head out to JFK. We worked out it would be cheaper to drive to New York and fly out of there than to fly out of Columbus. We stopped along the way to pick up a brother named Charlie Brohard who will be staying in Guyana for five weeks.

We got to Wallkill at about 6 PM and settled in for the night.

Friday: Spent most of the day with my cousin and made the most of our time at Wallkill. Took a tour of the facility, ate lunch with the family, and picked up all the literature we could for various Guyanese congregations.

Then we eventually got on our way to the airport, with plenty of time to catch out 11:55 PM flight.

Saturday: Not entirely sure what all happened on Saturday. I didn't really sleep so much on the plane (great in-flight movie) so my memories are in general pretty foggy. We did have a good time at the Trinidad airport where we made a connecting flight. Right after landing we headed to a coffee shop inside the building. As we sat there, Charlie was going over one of his public talks, and a couple walks up to us and says "Are you guys Witnesses?". Turns out they're publishers from Trinidad who were on their way to New York for.... something. We asked their names, and they said.... something. Like I said, bad sleep, foggy memories, etc.

Later on we got through security and all and made it to our departure gate. Charlie resumes going over his talk, and a couple sitting nearby asks "Are you guys Witnesses?". THESE ones were named BJ and Fee (short for Felicia, I'm assuming). Not only do I remember their names, I even got a picture of them! So maybe that makes up for forgetting the other two? I dunno, it averages out.

Turns out they're need-greaters from Wisconsin on their way to a congregation in Guyana called Bartica (which some readers may know as the congregation that Roman goes to. Just tossin' that out there). Naturally we swapped stories about how horribly cold our families are going to be in the coming weeks. Because sitting in an airport for seven hours does that to you.

So after a good long while with them, we boarded our plane and we landed in Georgetown, Guyana at around 2 PM. Fortunately, we had hired a taxi ahead of time, so he was there and waiting to drive us straight to where we were staying, with a brother named Lourensco (pronounced Lorenzo). He stuffed us full of food. And we went to bed very very early due to the amount of flying and traveling over the previous days.

Sunday: Since we were staying in Brighton's territory, we naturally went to Brighton's meeting Sunday morning. Got to see Tom & Michelle Sanches again, along with all the others in the congregation I knew, plus a few new ones which is always nice. Most of the remaining day was spent just chilling, for lack of a better word. Lourensco's house is good for that.

Monday: According to the others in the house, I was asleep until 10, which knowing me, I have no reason to doubt. We learned the boat for Orealla wasn't leaving until 10:30 that night, so we had plenty of time to get needed shopping done. However, Lourensco had errands to run all day, so offered to pick us up the things we needed. Therefore, more chilling. At least until 8, when we left for the boat.

Tuesday: We arrived! Finally.

Came in at about 5 AM this morning and have been settling in nicely. Digging through all my stuff that I brought and all I left behind. And realized I didn't do a blog update yet. So there you go. The next should be coming soon once we get settled into a good routine and start getting studies and all.

So, uh..... there you go.


  1. HURRAY! A blog update already!

    Glad you guys made it and are settling in well.

    Let Kojo know that a sister named Rose said hello. Saw her in London on Sunday. She has been someplace in Guyana at the end of one of the rivers or something. Hope that makes sense.

  2. Yea! So glad you guys made it! Thanks for posting pictures of Charlie so I know he made it and is safe and sound. (mom thing, you know.) Got down to 13* this morning and only made it up to 23* this afternoon. You guys are missing all the cold..... Have a great day!