Monday, May 26, 2014

Farewell, Orealla

So, as usual, sorry about it being so long since the last update. Etc etc etc.

Okay, now that we've gotten all that out of the way, here's what's going on in a nutshell.

1. Kojo Burgan came back from the Bible School for Single Brothers in Trinidad about a week and a half ago, and is settling back in to his normal routine.

2. I'm about to depart Orealla to spend a little while on the coast until I return to Ohio to work, earn money, go to International Convention, and prepare for another (and longer) trip to Guyana.

Unfortunately, leaving means I won't be seeing this as part of my day-to-day life...






Happily though, I've been able to keep busy for the last few days, and keep my mind off the impending departure from paradise. One thing that was pretty awesome was having over a man from the village named Mitchell who is one of the only other guitar players around. We'd wanted to do something together for a while, but never had a chance to. But when news came I was leaving, he decided to set visiting us as a priority.

We spent a few hours playing each other's guitars and teaching each other various lessons we'd learned over time. This man is related to several of the ones in our congregation but has always avoided Witnesses in general, so we're considering this an important step in the right direction.

And of course due to my upcoming departure, there was a going-away party. In Guyana, these are a huge deal. It doesn't even matter if you'll only be gone a short while and then coming back, you'll get a whopper of a going away party.

See, in North Athens they're so used to me leaving all the time they all dress in orange as a symbol of my leaving...












Which I think makes much more sense than everyone throwing themselves into assembling a party for someone who'll probably be back in a few weeks.


But hey, I got cinnamon rolls out of it, so I'm not complaining.






And thus that leaves me here, Monday morning, awaiting the boat which will take me away to the coast so I can stay with Tom and Michelle Sanches for a few days until I head back to Ohio. It'll be interesting trying to ride in the boat when the weather is like this:


Maybe I should buy an umbrella.....

No comments:

Post a Comment